PICPA - Tax Help


Tax Deadline - Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Extensions for filing are available, but payment of any taxes you owe was required by the April 15 due date.

Free Tax Forms

The IRS will no longer mail paper income tax booklets to you. There are free options to obtain paper forms, including:

Below are helpful tips from CPAs for individuals and business owners getting ready to prepare your federal and state tax returns.

Tax Help

Do’s and Don’ts for Paying Your Tax Bill

Pennsylvania CPAs offer recommendations on the best way to settle your bill for people who find that they do owe taxes.

Surviving an IRS Audit

If you receive a notice that the IRS is going to audit you, don’t panic. There are simple ways to prepare yourself and your financial information to make the process go more smoothly.

Safeguard Your Tax Records Year Round

There are many reasons why you need to be sure that your tax and other financial records are safe and available when you need them. CPAs offer tips on protecting your critical information.

Tax Filing and Payment Problems

It's so important to choose a tax preparer who really knows their stuff. Here are some of the common mistakes when making this choice and some helpful solutions.

Understanding Your Taxes

It is important to pay attention to all tax deductions and the funding of other programs that are withheld from your paycheck. The time you invest now can greatly reduce tax season uncertainty.


Seven Smart Tips for Last-Minute Filers

For all of those who are filing their taxes at the last minute, Pennsylvania CPAs offer these tips.

Your Tax Return: What Could Go Wrong?

Every year mistakes are made on tax returns. What kinds of errors should you watch for?

Nine Deductions Taxpayers Can Take Even if They Don’t Itemize

John Steffee, CPA provides nine above-the-line deductions that are available to taxpayers who do not itemize all deductions and opt for the standard deduction.

Affordable Care Act Part Deux: Income Taxes!

Affordable Care Act provisions will debut on your tax return for the first time this year. Get advice from Judy Herron, CPA on how this affects your tax filing.

Is Form 1040EZ Still “EZ” after the Affordable Care Act?

Barry Williams, CPA discusses how the Affordable Care Act will affect the 1040EZ this year.

Small-Business Owners

Money & Life TV - Small-Business Tax Tips

Ken Yoder, manager of corporate tax at ParenteBeard, discusses independent contractor vs. employee, the Affordable Care Act tax credit, and repair regulations.

Four Tax Tips for Small-Business Owners

Although each small business is unique, you can be sure that they have a common desire to minimize taxes and make the most of the deductions for which they qualify.

Tackling Taxes if You're Self-Employed

CPAs answers some of the most frequent questions about taxes and self-employment, and offers tips that can help you lower your tax bill.

A Guide to Pennsylvania Business Privilege and Mercantile Taxes pdf

Here is a brief update on the Business Privilege and Mercantile Tax, just one of the local taxes applicable to businesses operating in Pennsylvania.

Ask a CPA

Latest Questions

Search more questions >

CPA Locator

Find a CPA in your area to help you prepare your 2014 tax return.

Advanced Search

Download Free Federal & State Tax Brochures

PICPA Money & Life TV

If You Can't Make Tax Deadline, Don't Forget This

More TV Tips:

The Basics of Home Office Tax Deduction
How to Avoid Filing Mistakes
ID Theft and Your Tax Return

Quick Guides

Money & Life Newsletter
Read the Money & Life Newsletter Tax Edition for tax advice straight from Pennsylvania CPAs!


What You Need Before You Start Your Taxes

A checklist of items you should have ready before you start your taxes, whether you’re meeting with a tax preparer or doing them yourself. 

Top 10 Reasons a CPA Should Prepare Your Tax Return

From the Alternative Minimum Tax to the Affordable Care Act, these top ten reasons are why you should have a CPA prepare your tax return.