How do I go about finding a financial professional?

by PICPA Team | Jan 01, 2015
askacpaicon I have my first job that offers decent benefits, and I want to start saving for my future. How do I go about finding a financial professional to help me navigate savings, retirement, and tax issues? 

Congratulations on thinking ahead to your financial future. 

Financial advisors often have one or more of the following certifications: certified public account (CPA), personal financial specialist, certified financial planner, or chartered financial analyst. Begin your search for a financial professional by asking for recommendations from friends and family, or from professionals in similar, but separate fields. For instance, try asking a manager at your local bank or a lawyer who deals with tax or estate issues if he or she knows a good financial advisor. 

If you are looking for a CPA in Pennsylvania, our CPA Locator can help you. Outside Pennsylvania, visit the AICPA’s national PFS directory

Answered By: PICPA Team 
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Ask a CPA

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.


Subscribe to Money & Life Blogs