Are my children’s college tuition and other educational expenses tax deductible for me?

by Jennifer L. Romberger, CPA | Jan 05, 2015
askacpaiconIt depends. You may qualify for some deductions of your child's tuition and fees, or you may qualify for a more beneficial education tax credit.  Check out Federal Forms 8863 and 8917 for worksheets that should be able to help you compute eligible tax savings. There are many ways to benefit from educational tax credits, but they can be complex. Contact your local CPA to walk you through the process. To find a CPA by location or area of expertise, visit

Answered by: Jennifer L. Romberger, CPA, EA, is with Long Financial Group Inc. in Blue Bell, Pa.
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.