Is my severance pay taxable in Pennsylvania?

by Carlo R. Ferri, CPA | Mar 10, 2016
askacpaiconA taxpayer, who worked in Pennsylvania, retired in October 2015 and returned to his home state of New York. He received severance pay from his Pennsylvania employer. Is this included as earned income, and is it taxable to Pennsylvania? Can you provide a reference document for this specific type of income?

Answer: Generally, severance payments received for services that were performed in Pennsylvania would be taxable to Pennsylvania, even if one is no longer a Pennsylvania resident. This can be found on under the FAQs, as well as in Chapter 7 of the Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax (PIT) Guide (page 70)

There are a few exceptions depending on how the severance payment is defined. If the severance is tied into an old age retirement plan, then there may be an exclusion. See Chapter 7 of the PIT Guide, Section XVI, for a discussion that goes into great detail on how this income may be excluded.

Answered by: Carlo R. Ferri, CPA, director - tax strategies at Kreischer Miller in Horsham.
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.