Can my wife and I claim our medical insurance payments while retired and collecting benefits?

by Loretta M. Tubiello-Harr, CPA | Jan 19, 2017
askacpaiconMy wife and I are both retired, yet we both work and collect Social Security. I purchased supplemental health insurance to help with hospital bills that could happen at any time. I also purchased drug insurance and dental insurance. Can I claim any of these payments?

All of the items mentioned are considered medical insurance premiums, and can be taken as a medical expense if you itemize deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A. Once you tally up all your medical expenses (not just the medical insurance premiums), such as out-of-pocket payments to doctors, dentists, prescriptions, etc., the amount must exceed 10 percent of your adjusted gross income if you are under age 65, or 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income if you are 65 or older, in order to be counted toward the itemized deductions threshold for the medical expenses category.

Check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator for more resources.

Answered by: Loretta M. Tubiello-Harr, CPA, is a principal with Tubiello-Harr & Associates LLC in Coopersburg, Pa.
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.