Do I have to file federal and state taxes if I’m on Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

by Anthony R. Deutsch, CPA | Mar 17, 2017

Based on the question, if the only income the individual has is Social Security income, no federal or Pennsylvania returns would be required. Social Security income is only taxable if the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income is above the amounts listed in this article published on the IRS’s website. Pennsylvania does not tax Social Security benefits.

Check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator for more resources.
Answered by: Anthony R. Deutsch, CPA, is with Siana, Carr, O’Connor & Lynam LLP in Paoli, Pa.
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.