This is the first year my husband contributed to a retirement plan. What forms should we file with our taxes?

by Alan M. Schapire, CPA | Jan 25, 2019

Last year (2018) was the first year my husband put into a retirement plan. On his W-2, the retirement plan is marked. He did not take anything out of it, just put in to it. In addition to the regular 1040EZ form with our W-2s, are there any other forms we need to fill out?

The Retirement Plan box checked on the W-2 is just an indicator that the employee was an eligible participant in an employer-sponsored retirement plan. It does not necessitate any additional form filing.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Alan M. Schapire, CPA, is a principal with Convergent Financial Strategies LLC in Wayne, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.