Can I contribute to an IRA before April 2019 to reduce taxable income if I was retired in 2018 but received a royalty?

by Jennifer L. Romberger, CPA, EA | Feb 13, 2019

I was retired in 2018 and would like to contribute to an IRA before April 2019 to reduce taxable income. Would a royalty payment for a publication in 2018 be considered earned income under IRS guidelines?

It sounds like you can contribute, and you’ll know as soon as you enter the royalty income (I presume it’ll be supported by a 1099) and all other income and deduction information. The last thing you’ll enter is the IRA contribution, and then you (or the software you’re using) will have to compute how much you can contribute to a traditional IRA for maximum deduction.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Jennifer L. Romberger, CPA, EA, is with Long Financial Group Inc. in Blue Bell, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.