I live in Pennsylvania but work in New York. To whom do I pay local income tax?

by Kellie R. Hanas, CPA | Jan 01, 2015
askacpaicon I live in Erie County, Pa., and work in Falconer, N.Y. Which municipality do I pay local income tax to?

Answer: You should file a local earned income tax return for the municipality in which you reside. If New York local tax was withheld you can claim a credit for taxes paid on your Pennsylvania  local return. 

Taxes can get complex, especially when they cross state lines. For more tax resources visit www.picpa.org/taxhelp.

Answer By: Kellie R. Hanas, CPA, is a senior manager with HBK CPAs & Consultants in Meadville, Pa.

***Answer reviewed May 2018
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice. The ideas are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Ask a CPA

From tax questions to questions about saving for college or budgeting, get all of your questions answered for free by a certified public accountant.

Ask a CPA

Subscribe to Money & Life Blogs