Do I pay taxes only on interest for some HH bonds that I'm cashing out?

Do I pay taxes only on interest for some HH bonds that I'm cashing out?

by Paul K. Rudoy, CPA | Oct 31, 2017

I have some HH bonds from 1998-2004 that I am cashing out. I see the deferred interest is $438.32 on a $500.00 bond. Will I pay taxes on only the interest? Also, if I cash out $200,000, will this put me in a higher tax bracket than the 15 percent I am currently in? I want to invest in mutual funds that are paying more than the 1.5 percent I currently receive.

The sale of the bonds will result in interest income being taxed. There will be no other taxation issues assuming the bonds were held to maturity.

Your tax bracket is dependent on your total taxable income. To determine what bracket you will be in, check out the tax tables at

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Paul K. Rudoy, CPA, PFS, is managing partner of H2R CPA in Pittsburgh.
The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.