My daughter is going to college full time with income this year. What should she put on her W-4?

My daughter is going to college full time with income this year. What should she put on her W-4?

by Dafna Meltzer, CPA | Jan 30, 2018

My daughter is 18 and is going to college full time, living at home, and will have income from a job of $8,000 to $12,000 for 2018. What should she put on her W-4 form?

The Pennsylvania tax rate on taxable income is 3.07 percent, so if your withholding or estimated payments was equal to your tax due in Pennsylvania, then you would not be entitled to a refund. If you had received refunds in past years, then you should see if there was additional taxable income on this return compared with previous tax years. You should also compare how much was paid in state taxes in other years. Year-to-year comparison of your tax returns will probably help you notice if there are any differences that led to your $0 refund.

Without more information, it is difficult to determine your exact tax situation and understand why you did not receive a refund. If you need additional assistance with this issue you should seek help from a CPA. 

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Dafna Meltzer, CPA, is with Meltzer & Meltzer CPAs in Elkins Park, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.