Do I need proof that my child lives with me when filing my taxes?

by Susan E. S. Howe, CPA | Feb 27, 2018

Is proof that my child lives with me needed when filing my taxes? Or is that only needed if the IRS looks into it?

While you should be ready to substantiate everything on your tax forms, it is only necessary to provide that substantiation if the IRS asks for it. This includes proof that your child qualifies as your dependent.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Susan E. S. Howe, CPA, is principal of Howe Advisory in Strafford, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.