How much can I make from selling chickens, birds, and eggs before having to file taxes?

by William B. Boles, CPA | May 23, 2018

My husband and I raise chickens and other birds/poultry. We were wondering, if we were to sell chickens or the other birds or the eggs for other people to hatch, how much could we make from that before having to file taxes? And if we do, which forms do we file? 

The answer to this question is more complicated than it may appear, as it depends upon many factors. Assuming that you and your spouse already are filing a tax return and there is sufficient income to require you to file annual tax returns, then you must report all income from the sale of the items you sell. You would report the sales activities on IRS Form Schedule F. Also, you would report the same information for Pennsylvania personal income taxes.
Refer to IRS Publication 225, Farmer’s Tax Guide, for detailed information on both reporting income and expenses.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: William B. Boles, CPA, is founding director of Boles Metzger Brosius & Walborn PC in Harrisburg, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.