If I purchase a mobile home from someone and move it to my own land, should I send the seller a 1099?

by Loretta M. Tubiello-Harr, CPA | Jul 31, 2018

I am purchasing a mobile home as an investment property from an individual. I will be moving it off his land and on to my own land. My question is do I have to send the seller a 1099?

Since you stated that you will be moving the mobile home, it is assumed that the mobile home is not considered a permanent structure. The transfer of an unaffixed mobile home is not subject to the reporting requirements because it is normally treated as the transfer of personal property rather than real property. Therefore, neither a 1099-S nor 1099-MISC is required.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Loretta M. Tubiello-Harr, CPA, is a principal with Tubiello-Harr & Associates LLC in Coopersburg, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.