Do I have to pay taxes on money transferred from a foreign account to a U.S. account in my name?

by Dafna Meltzer, CPA | Oct 31, 2018

I transferred money from a foreign account in my name into a U.S. account in my name. The amount was a little over $30,000. Do I have to pay taxes on this amount when reporting taxes?

A transfer of funds does not require reporting, per se. However, the presence of funds in a foreign account creates a number of other reporting responsibilities (with or without any tax consequences), starting with the ownership of that foreign bank account, the source of those funds, and any income those funds may have generated. You should consult with a CPA or a tax attorney versed in those issues, as the penalties for not reporting are draconian.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Dafna Meltzer, CPA, is with Meltzer & Meltzer CPAs in Elkins Park, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.