Am I required to file a 1098-E for student loan interest if I don’t want the deduction?

by David A. Caplan, CPA | Jan 11, 2019

Am I required to file my 1098-E for student loan interest, or can I choose to file without it if I don’t want the deduction from it? (I’m using TurboTax, and they will charge me $40 to be able to file it, whereas my deduction will only come out to about $30 since I’ve paid most of my accrued interest.)

You are not required to take a deduction for student loan interest. However, I find it hard to believe that TurboTax would charge $40 extra to do that. You might want to verify that.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: David A. Caplan, CPA, is a sole practitioner in Lafayette Hill, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.