Does making a tax payment correction in 2018 for a past tax return affect my 2018 tax return at all?

by Eric S. MacCollum, CPA | Jan 11, 2019

I received a CP-2000 notice in November 2018 for my 2016 tax return. It was for my education tax credit, and I had to pay about $2,100. I was able to pay it in full in one single payment. I am wondering how this will affect my 2018 tax return, and if I need to write that information in the "federal taxes paid" box?

The payment of the additional $2,100 in 2016 taxes will have no effect on your 2018 tax return. Federal tax payments are a nondeductible event, and only current year tax payments count toward your current tax balance. If, for some reason, your state tax balance was adjusted as a result of this or any other tax notice, then it would be factored in your itemized deductions.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Eric S. MacCollum, CPA, is a principal with Hudak and Company in Lemoyne, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.