Do I have to claim interest received from a home I sold as “for sale by owner?”

by Susan D. Jarvis, CPA | Jan 25, 2019

I sold a home a few years back. I did it as a “for sale by owner,” in which the buyer makes payments to me on a monthly basis for the next 30 years. I claimed the sale of the house the year I sold it, but for the past couple of years I hadn’t claimed anything from that house. I did research to see if I was in any red tape. I’ve read the instructions on Form 1098, and it says to only claim the interest received if it is your trade. I work in information technology. Am I doing this right? Do I not have to claim interest received?

You have entered into an installment sale. You can opt out of the installment sale rules, which you have done. That means that you don’t have to report the capital gain over 30 years, but can report it all in one year. The only thing to report over the next 30 years, or as long as the buyer is making payments, is the interest income on the note.  

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Susan D. Jarvis, CPA, is a sole practitioner in Nazareth, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.