My husband is on disability and I work. Can I file as head of household?

by Amy M. Swartzfager, CPA | Jan 25, 2019

My husband is on disability and I work. Can I file as head of household?

No. Head of Household status is only available to unmarried taxpayers who provide more than 50 percent of the living expenses for a qualified dependent. You would file jointly as married.
For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Amy M. Swartzfager, CPA, is a senior tax analyst with API Technologies Corp. in Fairview, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.