Is it true that both my ex-husband and I can claim our children on this year’s taxes?

by Joseph A. Pancerella, CPA | Feb 05, 2019

My ex-husband’s accountant said that we can both file and claim our children for the 2018 tax year. I just have to let him claim them and file first, and then I can. Is this true? In the past only one parent could claim them.

There is no exemption claim for dependents this year. So, the other accountant is trying to “share” different types of credits. I would suggest you a consult a CPA and provide more information, specifically what credit/benefit your ex-husband is taking that may effectively eliminate it on your 1040.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Joseph A. Pancerella, CPA, is managing director of Pancerella & Associates LLC in Reading, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.