I’m noticing on my W-2 that my previous employer did not withhold FICA taxes last year. What should I do?

by Colleen S. Krcelich, CPA | Feb 12, 2019

I have noticed on my W-2 that my previous employer didn't withhold FICA taxes last year. I worked for them from January to June. What should I do?

The right thing to do is contact the employer. The employer should amend the payroll tax returns and issue a corrected W-2 to you. The employer, assuming they will correct it, will then request that you send them the taxes not withheld. If the employer does not correct it, your wages will not be credited to your Social Security earnings.  

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Colleen S. Krcelich, CPA, is an adjunct professor at Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, Pa. 

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.