My dependent child filed her taxes before me, then I filed mine which claimed her as a dependent and it got rejected. Is this fixable?

by Susan E. S. Howe, CPA | Feb 13, 2019

My child filed her taxes before me. She was completely dependent, and lived in my home (I 100 percent supported her in my home for 2018). I claimed her on my taxes as a dependent after she had filed her taxes, and my return has been rejected because her Social Security number has already been registered with her filed return. How do I fix this issue so I receive my return?

The only way to correct the issue in this situation is for the dependent to file an amended return (1040X), removing the exemption from her return. Once that’s processed by the IRS, you will be able to refile your own return claiming her exemption. It will take time for the IRS to process your dependent’s return, however. It will likely take at least a few weeks, and possibly longer.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Susan E. S. Howe, CPA, is principal of Howe Advisory in Strafford, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.