If my address wasn’t updated on my 1098-E for student loan interest payments, can I still use it?

by Gregory Paulding, CPA | Feb 15, 2019

I recently received a 1098-E for my student loan interest payments, but my borrower failed to update my address on the form. Is it still okay to use, or should I ask them to fix it?

Yes, go ahead and use that form as it is. The address will have no impact, because your name and Social Security number are the relevant details for the IRS to trace this form to your return.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Gregory Paulding, CPA, is president of Paulding & Associates PC in Erie, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.