Will my mom’s tax return be rejected if she claimed me even though I indicated on my return that I wasn’t claimed by another?

by Michael G. Radich, CPA, MST | Feb 15, 2019

I accidentally checked that I couldn't be claimed as a dependent on my return, but my mom is claiming me. Will her return be rejected? 

If you claimed yourself as a dependent and subsequently your parent claims you as well, the following will happen:

  1. Both you and your mother will receive identical notices from the IRS, and these notices will need to be responded to with proper documentation.
  2. If you filed before your mom, her return will be rejected from e-filing, meaning that it will need to be paper filed. A rejected federal return usually means that the state return will also be rejected, though not always.
  3. Whoever can be proven to have improperly taken the exemption could be subject to an audit by the IRS.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Michael G. Radich, CPA, MST, is managing shareholder with MGR CPA & Consultants PC in Pittsburgh, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.