How can I claim alimony payments to my ex-wife who lives in Canada if she doesn’t have a tax identification number?

by Dafna Meltzer, CPA | Mar 05, 2019

I am a U.S. permanent resident, and I pay alimony to my ex-wife who lives in Canada. She has never lived in the United States and has no U.S. Tax ID number. I am just wondering how I can claim the alimony payment without her having a Tax ID number?

Alimony paid to a nonresident alien is subject to 30 percent withholding; however, there is a treaty with Canada that covers alimony, so that withholding is not necessary. I would recommend that the recipient obtain an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for the benefit of the payor.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Dafna Meltzer, CPA, is with Meltzer & Meltzer CPAs in Elkins Park, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.