Should I file an amendment now for my tax return if I received a couple W-2s after filing?

by William R. Lazor, CPA | Apr 18, 2019

I filed my taxes on Jan. 31. I received a couple W-2s after filing. I received a letter stating that my return was under review. I called, and I was told that they need nothing from me, and not to contact them again until 60 days from March 14. It's been 75 days since I filed. Should I file an amendment, or should I continue to wait?

Contrary to what you may believe, it may be best to wait until your original return has been processed by the IRS. The 60 days from March 14 had not passed at the time I reviewed your question, so you should follow their advice. It may or may not cost you some interest if you have to make a payment. However, you should follow the instructions given by the IRS.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: William R. Lazor, CPA, is a partner/shareholder with Kronick Kalada Berdy & Company PC in Kingston, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.