Would I need a W-2 form if I'm managing someone's social media for $45 a week?

by Joseph A. Pancerella, CPA | May 14, 2019

Would I need a W-2 form if I'm managing someone's social media for $45 a week? If yes, is there anything else I would need?

I’m assuming are getting paid $45 a week. If you are an employee, and taxes are being withheld, you will get a W-2.

If you are collecting $45 per week without any withholding, then you are considered an independent contractor and you should get a 1099-MISC at the end of the year. You will be responsible for your own taxes. There are IRS guidelines on how this classification is defined and your tax obligations. 

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Joseph A. Pancerella, CPA, is managing director of Pancerella & Associates LLC in Reading, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.