As a Kentucky resident and employee for a Pennsylvania company, does my employer need to withhold Pennsylvania taxes?

by Susan E. S. Howe, CPA | Jun 26, 2019

I live in Kentucky and I work for a Pennsylvania company. I do not do any work within the Pennsylvania state lines. The company currently withholds Kentucky state taxes. Do I need to have my employer withhold Pennsylvania taxes? I never come to the state.

If you both live and work in Kentucky, this is the only state in which you will pay personal income tax. The location of the employer is irrelevant. Individuals are generally taxed on income in the state in which it is earned, unless the resident state and the work state have a reciprocal agreement. So, your employer is correctly withholding and remitting income tax in your state of residence, and this is the only state in which you are required to file a tax return for this income.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Susan E. S. Howe, CPA, is principal of Howe Advisory in Strafford, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.