By Megan Killian, vice president – member relations
Through the years, the PICPA scholarship fund has awarded millions of dollars to thousands of students pursuing an accounting career. The Pennsylvania CPA Foundation, in its efforts to support a talented and diverse pipeline of CPAs, has expanded the scholarship program to help even more aspiring CPAs.
Did You Know?
- The cost of a college education has more than doubled in the last 20 years.
- The average student loan debt amount is $37,000.
- The demand for both accountants and auditors is expected to rise 11 percent through 2024.
- Minorites make up less than 10 percent of CPA staff at U.S. CPA firms, and less than 5 percent of firm partners.
- You can help support future CPAs by making a donation to the Pennsylvania CPA Foundation.
Over $125,000 will be awarded this year to recipients in four categories:
- Academic Merit – For Pennsylvania college or university accounting majors with a 3.4 GPA or higher
- Diversity – For ethnic minority students majoring in accounting at a Pennsylvania college or university
- High School – For Pennsylvania high school seniors who plan to major in accounting
- Community College Transfer – For students currently enrolled in a two-year college and planning to transfer to an accounting program at a four-year college or university
The deadline to apply is March 20, 2019. The recipients will be chosen and notified in May. More information about scholarship requirements and the application can be found on the PICPA website.
Good luck to all our future CPAs!