Scenario: claiming business expenses

Sep 25, 2014

Since a W-2 is issued with no Federal or PA Withholding (only FICA and Medicare Tax), is there any preference for:

a) Filing a Schedule C and claiming business expenses?


b) Claiming the expenses on a UE form, as long as the net amount is reported on line 1 of the PA return?


Even though statutory employees receive W-2 forms instead of 1099 forms, the form does not control how the statutory employee’s income is reported for PA PIT purposes.
Most, if not all, statutory employees receive non-employee compensation for their services. Consequently, their income should be reported as compensation and Schedule UE may be used to claim expenses associated with generating the income. If a statutory employee’s activities meet the “commercial enterprise test”, then his income classified as “business income” and his income and expenses can be reported on Schedule C.
Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

PICPA 2020 Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsor

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Gold Sponsor

Paychex logo

Bronze Sponsor

Capstan Logo 

Interested in becoming a sponsor? Contact Kelli Comegys for packages and opportunities.