Can I file a tax return if I receive Social Security Disability benefits? Do I have to file a return?

Jan 05, 2015
askacpaiconCan I file a tax return if I am receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits?

Yes, a person ("the taxpayer") can file a tax return even if he or she is receiving SSI/SSD benefits. Note, however, that the taxpayer may not be required to file a return if the only income received during the year by the taxpayer (and the taxpayer's spouse if married filing jointly) was SSI/SSD benefits. For more tax resources visit

Answer By: William L. Stunkel, CPA, is director of small business services with Holsinger PC in Wexford, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >