Does Form 709 (gift tax return) have to be filed for investments transferred to an irrevocable trust with a separate tax ID number?

Nov 02, 2018

My dad transferred his investments, his residence, and life insurance (total in excess of $250,000) to an irrevocable trust in 2018. The trust has a separate tax ID number, and he will file a Form 1041 and Form K-1 appropriately. Does he also have to file Form 709 for 2018?

The terms of the trust will determine if a gift tax return is required. This is a question that cannot be answered without careful reading of the trust. The various items that determine income and gift taxation of trusts are complex and outside the scope of questions that can be answered in this forum. Major treatises have been written on the issues involved and the potential for unexpected consequences.

You should consult the tax and legal professionals who assisted in setting up the trust. If you did not consult one prior to doing so, you should at this time to avoid surprises in the future.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Elizabeth W. Kidd, CPA, is a retired accounting instructor in Erie, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >