Do I report income as an independent contractor for a foreign online company?

Nov 21, 2018

I am an independent contractor for an online company in another country. I am paid in that country’s currency. Do I have to report that income on my taxes? If so, how would I do that since the company does not do any tax forms at all?

As a U.S. citizen, you are liable for income tax on all income from any source. Assuming you are performing the work from a location within the United States, your income from the online company is treated the same way income from any U.S. payer would be treated. Translate the income to U.S. dollars using either an annual average exchange rate or the exchange rate in place on each payment.

Report the U.S. dollar equivalent on either a Schedule C or as Other Income on line 21 of your tax return. As an independent contractor, your net income is also subject to U.S. FICA and Medicare taxes, so the net income will also go to Schedule SE.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Susan E. S. Howe, CPA, is principal of Howe Advisory in Strafford, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >