Is there a way I can give my son the entire cash value of a brokerage account if it exceeds the yearly gift value maximum?

Nov 21, 2018

My son is my only beneficiary on a brokerage account. I wish to give him the cash value of the entire account while I am still alive, but it exceeds the current maximum gift value of $15,000 per year. Is there any way this would be possible?

You can make a gift to an individual in excess of the annual exclusion. The effect of the excess is that it will be applied against your own lifetime exclusion of approximately $11 million. Whether or not there will be gift tax due depends on the amount of your lifetime exclusion you have already used in prior gifts.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: William R. Lazor, CPA, is a partner/shareholder with Kronick Kalada Berdy & Company PC in Kingston, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >