Can I take a loss on this year’s taxes if I bought a penny stock from a company that went bankrupt years ago and the stock is still listed in my account?

Jan 11, 2019

I bought a penny stock in 2004 from a company that went bankrupt in 2010. It’s still listed in my account with zero value. Can I take a loss on this year’s taxes?

For the stock of a company that is determined to be worthless with a zero value, you can take the loss in the current year since you have not previously taken the loss. As long as you haven’t recognized the loss before, you are able to take the loss in the year determined the stock is worthless. You will need to fill out Schedule D for the Form 1040. Under the sales price column it should be noted that the stock sales price is worthless. You would enter the last day of the year as the sale date. You will also need to check the box that you did not receive a 1099-B to cover the transaction.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Shane R. Fisher, CPA, is vice president of finance at TriCorner Homes in Harrisburg, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >