My dependent child filed her taxes before me, then I filed mine which claimed her as a dependent and it got rejected. Is this fixable?

Feb 13, 2019

My child filed her taxes before me. She was completely dependent, and lived in my home (I 100 percent supported her in my home for 2018). I claimed her on my taxes as a dependent after she had filed her taxes, and my return has been rejected because her Social Security number has already been registered with her filed return. How do I fix this issue so I receive my return?

The only way to correct the issue in this situation is for the dependent to file an amended return (1040X), removing the exemption from her return. Once that’s processed by the IRS, you will be able to refile your own return claiming her exemption. It will take time for the IRS to process your dependent’s return, however. It will likely take at least a few weeks, and possibly longer.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Susan E. S. Howe, CPA, is principal of Howe Advisory in Strafford, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >