How can we change our church to a tax-exempt organization?

May 07, 2019

Per our payroll processor, our church was not created as a tax-exempt organization. How can we go about getting this changed? Is there anything in addition to Form 1023 that needs to be completed?

Churches, although they can receive 501(c)(3) exemption status from the IRS, are not required to. They are automatically considered tax exempt and are not required to apply for and obtain recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS by filing Form 1023.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Krista M. Gardner, CPA, is a principal, government/not-for-profit, with Stambaugh Ness PC in York, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >