Can I add a past year’s unpaid tax balance to an already existing payment agreement for another year’s balance?

Jul 11, 2019

I began working for myself in 2017. I filed 2018 taxes, but not 2017. I have a payment agreement for 2018 where I owe $4,200 and will pay $200 a month. Can I still file 2017 taxes and ask that that balance be added to my existing payment agreement? I’m guessing I owe about $7,000 before penalties. 

Based on my experience with the IRS, you should be able to do this, although any payment plan is subject to IRS approval. I suggest that when you file your 2017 tax return you request a payment agreement by either using Form 9465 (Installment Agreement Request) or filing out an Online Payment Agreement at Form 9465 asks for additional balances still owed to the IRS, even if they are included in an existing installment arrangement. So, the revised balance you would be requesting a payment plan for would include the taxes due for both 2017 and 2018. The same should occur if you submit the online application. You could also call the IRS at (800) 829-1040 to make your payment plan request.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Daria D. Palaschak, CPA, is a tax partner with Sisterson & Co. LLP in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >