Do I need to file taxes in Pennsylvania for an S corporation who has made profit there but has an overall loss?

Jul 11, 2019

My firm (an S corporation) does business in Pennsylvania. The firm as a whole had an overall loss, but the Pennsylvania operations had a profit. Do I need to file a tax report in Pennsylvania, and will I have to pay taxes on the Pennsylvania operations even though the firm had a net loss as a whole?

Each business is required to file a return to the IRS and then to each state in which it operates reporting income and loss. To the extent that there is income for Pennsylvania, it would be reported on a PA Form K-1 and then reported on your personal income tax return. Each state stands by itself. You cannot net the loss from one state against another.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Mark B. Zinman, CPA, is a managing partner with Zinman & Company in Southampton, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >