If client a submits a 1099 to me for work that I outsourced to another bookkeeper, and I submit a 1099 to the other bookkeeper, how am I taxed on the gross income from the client?

Aug 07, 2019

I am an independent bookkeeper, certified QBO expert and ProAdvisor. I have clients across the country, and looking to expand. I have a potential client who would pay me $2,000 to $3,000 per month, and I would be shifting the bulk of this work to my new bookkeeper while I manage her daily/monthly work. If the client submits a 1099 for me in full, let's say $36,000 for the year, that income would all be payable by me. If I submit a 1099 for my bookkeeper, would that lower my taxable income payable by the same amount which I paid to her? If not, what is the best way to do this so I do not pay on the full amount because I did not keep the full amount?

You would want to receive the funds directly from the customer and have them issue you a 1099. This will be included in your taxable income. But when you pay your bookkeeper and issue her a 1099 in that amount, that will reduce your taxable income.

Be careful to follow the rules for subcontractor vs. employee. Check out this CPA Now blog for some insight on the differences between worker classifications.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Amy L. Bishop, CPA, MST, is a tax and accounting manager with Delisi, Keenan & Associates PC in Greensburg, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >