Can I file a tax return if I receive Social Security Disability benefits? Do I have to file a return?

by William L. Stunkel, CPA | Jan 05, 2015
askacpaiconCan I file a tax return if I am receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits?

Yes, a person ("the taxpayer") can file a tax return even if he or she is receiving SSI/SSD benefits. Note, however, that the taxpayer may not be required to file a return if the only income received during the year by the taxpayer (and the taxpayer's spouse if married filing jointly) was SSI/SSD benefits. For more tax resources visit

Answer By: William L. Stunkel, CPA, is director of small business services with Holsinger PC in Wexford, Pa.

The responses are based on the limited information provided by the questioner and apply the laws and regulations at the time of posting. Other options could arise as rules and regulations may change over time, including but not limited to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. They are intended to provide general information, not specific accounting or tax advice; they are not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding or evading taxes or penalties under the IRS code or regulations. Views expressed do not imply an opinion of the PICPA, its officers, directors, employees, or members.
Financial FAQs

Search the most frequently asked finance and accounting questions and read the responses from PICPA members. Always consult a CPA before taking action.