What taxes do I have to pay if living in Pennsylvania and working in New Jersey?

Jan 06, 2016
askacpaiconPennsylvania and New Jersey have a reciprocal agreement covering individual income tax on compensation. If you live in Pennsylvania and work for an employer in New Jersey, the employer is not required to withhold income tax for New Jersey, but should instead withhold Pennsylvania tax. This agreement only covers earnings from compensation. If you are self-employed, your income is taxable where it is earned: so, any New Jersey source income would be subject to New Jersey individual income tax.

You should file a Pennsylvania state (and, if required, local) income tax return reporting all your income and claiming the credit for withholding on your W-2. If for some reason your employer has incorrectly withheld New Jersey tax, you should file a New Jersey return to acquire a refund of the tax and pay the full balance due on your Pennsylvania return.

When it comes to taxes, working and living in different states can make things quite complex. To ensure you are filing correctly consult your local CPA. Don’t have a CPA? Visit PICPA’s consumer page for resources including a CPA Locator tool.

Answer By: Susan E. S. Howe, CPA, is principal of HoweAdvisory in Strafford.
Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

PICPA 2020 Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsor

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Gold Sponsor

Paychex logo

Bronze Sponsor

Capstan Logo 

Interested in becoming a sponsor? Contact Kelli Comegys for packages and opportunities.