Do I report a 1099-INT and a 1099-DIV that I received from my bank on my tax return?

Do I report a 1099-INT and a 1099-DIV that I received from my bank on my tax return?

Feb 27, 2018

I have a couple investment accounts at my bank. I receive a 1099-INT and a 1099-DIV on each account. Do I report these on my taxes? Neither one is a Roth, so won't I pay tax as I withdraw funds?

Yes, you report these 1099 forms as taxable income. As stated, these accounts are not Roth accounts or other retirement accounts, hence the form 1099s.
The 1099-INT and 1099-DIV are income reporting documents, sent by banks and third-parties, which the IRS also receives. The IRS then matches your tax return against these third-party documents. If your return and the amounts reported on these documents do not match, you will receive an IRS notice.

You should be able to determine that you actually received the interest and dividends in your investment account to verify the accuracy of these statements. Provided they are correct, you will enter the amounts reported on these forms on Schedule B.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Sean J. Brennan, CPA, is president of Brennan and Company CPA PC in Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >