Am I required to file a 1098-E for student loan interest if I don’t want the deduction?

Jan 11, 2019

Am I required to file my 1098-E for student loan interest, or can I choose to file without it if I don’t want the deduction from it? (I’m using TurboTax, and they will charge me $40 to be able to file it, whereas my deduction will only come out to about $30 since I’ve paid most of my accrued interest.)

You are not required to take a deduction for student loan interest. However, I find it hard to believe that TurboTax would charge $40 extra to do that. You might want to verify that.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: David A. Caplan, CPA, is a sole practitioner in Lafayette Hill, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >