Will third-party tuition assistance from my employer affect my tax returns?

Jan 11, 2019

I receive third-party tuition assistance from my employer. Will this affect my tax returns?

Tuition assistance taxability depends on the plan that the employer has. Tuition reimbursement can be part of an overall cafeteria (Section 125) plan. My suggestion is to ask your human resources department about how it is being treated. I would assume that if you have been reimbursed and not taxed on it as part of your Form W-2, then it is not taxable. Your employer should be able to confirm this.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Mark B. Zinman, CPA, is a managing partner with Zinman & Company in Southampton, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >