How do I record monthly payments to my delinquent student account on my taxes?

Feb 12, 2019

I have a delinquent student account at my college (long and complicated story). I have been making regular payments on it since August 2018. How do I record the payments on my taxes?

If the payments are toward a student loan, the interest is deductible on your individual return.  A Form 1098-E should be issued to you that reports this amount. If these payments are toward tuition, these payments may be deductible in different ways, depending on your individual tax situation. You would need to contact a tax professional for advice specific to the details of your situation.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Amy L. Bishop, CPA, MST, is a tax and accounting manager with Delisi, Keenan & Associates PC in Greensburg, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >