I’m noticing on my W-2 that my previous employer did not withhold FICA taxes last year. What should I do?

Feb 12, 2019

I have noticed on my W-2 that my previous employer didn't withhold FICA taxes last year. I worked for them from January to June. What should I do?

The right thing to do is contact the employer. The employer should amend the payroll tax returns and issue a corrected W-2 to you. The employer, assuming they will correct it, will then request that you send them the taxes not withheld. If the employer does not correct it, your wages will not be credited to your Social Security earnings.  

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Colleen S. Krcelich, CPA, is an adjunct professor at Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, Pa. 

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >