If my address wasn’t updated on my 1098-E for student loan interest payments, can I still use it?

Feb 15, 2019

I recently received a 1098-E for my student loan interest payments, but my borrower failed to update my address on the form. Is it still okay to use, or should I ask them to fix it?

Yes, go ahead and use that form as it is. The address will have no impact, because your name and Social Security number are the relevant details for the IRS to trace this form to your return.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Gregory Paulding, CPA, is president of Paulding & Associates PC in Erie, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >