How should I run payroll for an S corporation where I am the owner and sole employee?

May 10, 2019

I am the owner and sole employee of an S corporation. I was advised to begin running payroll so I can pay myself a reasonable salary. I noticed that I am paying for an employee tax as well as an employer tax for Social Security and Medicare. If I'm being double taxed, should I avoid running payroll altogether?

The corporation pays its portion of employment tax on all wages paid and the employee pays theirs. You are not, then, subject to self-employment tax on those wages or the flow through income. As per IRS regulations, “S corporations must pay a reasonable compensation to a shareholder-employee in return for services that the employee provides to the corporation before nonwage distributions may be made to the shareholder-employee.” If the shareholder wants to pull any monies out of the corporation, they should do so first by taking a wage. Then they can speak with their tax accountant to determine what amounts may be taken out as a distribution. With S corporations, there is the matter of basis to be discussed before distributions can be considered.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Ashley N. Blessing, CPA, is a supervisor with Herbein + Company Inc. in Reading, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >