Q&A with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue

Scenario: claiming business expenses

Sep 25, 2014

Since a W-2 is issued with no Federal or PA Withholding (only FICA and Medicare Tax), is there any preference for:

a) Filing a Schedule C and claiming business expenses?


b) Claiming the expenses on a UE form, as long as the net amount is reported on line 1 of the PA return?


Even though statutory employees receive W-2 forms instead of 1099 forms, the form does not control how the statutory employee’s income is reported for PA PIT purposes.
Most, if not all, statutory employees receive non-employee compensation for their services. Consequently, their income should be reported as compensation and Schedule UE may be used to claim expenses associated with generating the income. If a statutory employee’s activities meet the “commercial enterprise test”, then his income classified as “business income” and his income and expenses can be reported on Schedule C.

1 comment

Leave a comment
  • assignmentman writing service | Mar 15, 2017
    This way if employees received all kinds of things then the compensations must benefit them or their family members. with out it it's waste of paying. They must sort out which schedule works better.

    Leave a comment

    Watch: 2019 Q&A with the DOR
    Watch: 2019 Q&A with the DOR

    Watch Now

    A PICPA member login is required to access this content. A full transcript is also available.

    Full Transcripts:
    Annual Meetings
    Oct. 2019      Oct. 2018

    Oct. 2017      Oct. 2016

      Sept. 2015     Sept. 2014

    Full Transcripts:
    Quarterly Meetings

    These documents provide a summary of the answers provided by the Department of Revenue to the PICPA Committee on State Taxation at its annual question and answer session. These documents are classified as revenue information issued for informational purposes only for the convenience of PICPA members. Pursuant to 61 Pa. Code Section 3.4, these documents should not be relied upon for any purpose or used in tax appeals. Taxpayers requiring a binding opinion on their specific fact situation may request a written letter ruling under 61 Pa. Code Section 3.3.